Here’s what to do after a workplace injury

Personal Injury Lawyers St. Catharines

Aug 3, 2016

Workplace injuries are often thought to occur on danger of specific occupations that require working with heavy machines or in hazardous situations. However, workplace injuries can occur to any employee. On average, one in 15 Canadian workers will be injured at work. No one is immune to suffering an injury and you should know what to do in case of injury BEFORE an incident.

If you are injured at work, no matter the severity, follow these steps. You may have a right to workers’ compensation, but it is important to fulfil your responsibilities with regards to the injury. [Note: if your injury requires immediate medical attention, call 911].

It is important to note that a workplace injury does not have to be just acute trauma to the body such as dropping a heavy box on your foot. Injuries can also include cumulative-trauma injuries developed from repeated actions, developing a disease or loss of regular function, such as hearing loss. Your workplace injury could also be psychological. Below you will find advise as to what to do after a workplace injury.

Report the injury

As soon as possible, report your injury to your supervisor and include names of any coworkers who witnessed the injury, if applicable. If a workplace injury is not reported right away, it may make it difficult for your workplace injury lawyer to prove it occurred at work in the instance of a legal dispute. Ensure that your employer records your report of the injury. You should start maintaining your own notes and records as well.

Seek medical attention

Be sure to note to the medical professional(s) treating you that your injury happened at work. Also, be sure to follow any medical advice given; if not, you may lose your entitlement to workers’ compensation. You should also request that they send a Health Professional’s Report (Form 8) to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board.

Notify your union or health and safety representative 

Your union or workplace health and safety representative should be informed of your injury as soon as possible. They can provide invaluable advice and support to you.

 Attend an independent medical exam

Your employer may request that you also attend an independent medical exam with a doctor of their choosing. It is important that you attend this appointment and comply with the exam.

After these initial steps, you will want to file a claim with the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board of Ontario within the time period required by the Board. Generally speaking, you have 6 months from the date of injury or the date on which you became aware that your disease was caused by a workplace condition or told your employer of a disablement to file a claim. For more information about WSIB claims, see this link from the Ontario Office of the Worker Adviser:

The Chown Cairns personal injury law practice group are committed to finding solutions for employees in employment-related disputes, including workplace injuries and WSIB claims. Book a consultation with a Niagara personal injury lawyer by clicking here.